    SubjectRe: DevFS vs. normal /dev (was DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???))
    Shawn Leas <> said:
    > On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Horst von Brand wrote:
    > > How do you reference, say, /dev/fd0 if the floppy module isn't even loaded?
    > > You need to do that so kmod loads the module, as things stand now.

    > Under /devfs, the /dev/fd0 is a link to /dev/floppy/0, so the devfs would
    > see the explicit request for /dev/floppy device, and send "floppy" to
    > kmod, and you can alias whatever module that would need to be loaded to
    > floppy.

    So you don't have lots of device files, but "links" for each possible
    device instead (Note that I asked how you access a device that is _not_
    configured into the kernel; the module might even have been build and
    installed from third-party sources just before the reference)? Doesn't
    make much sense to me...

    > It would be loaded automagically. My explaination might be warped, but
    > the basic idea stands.

    That basic idea sounds just like a hand-managed /dev directory, just very
    much harder to do since you have to screw around with the kernel each time
    you want to add something. Or a terrible mess in /proc/add-your-devices-here
    I don't see how it might buy anything in return for the bloat and mess.
    Horst von Brand
    Casilla 9G, Viña del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:4.576 seconds]