SubjectRe: DevFS vs. normal /dev (was DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???))
Shawn Leas <sleas@ixion.honeywell.com> said:
> On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Horst von Brand wrote:
> > How do you reference, say, /dev/fd0 if the floppy module isn't even loaded?
> > You need to do that so kmod loads the module, as things stand now.

> Under /devfs, the /dev/fd0 is a link to /dev/floppy/0, so the devfs would
> see the explicit request for /dev/floppy device, and send "floppy" to
> kmod, and you can alias whatever module that would need to be loaded to
> floppy.

So you don't have lots of device files, but "links" for each possible
device instead (Note that I asked how you access a device that is _not_
configured into the kernel; the module might even have been build and
installed from third-party sources just before the reference)? Doesn't
make much sense to me...

> It would be loaded automagically. My explaination might be warped, but
> the basic idea stands.

That basic idea sounds just like a hand-managed /dev directory, just very
much harder to do since you have to screw around with the kernel each time
you want to add something. Or a terrible mess in /proc/add-your-devices-here
I don't see how it might buy anything in return for the bloat and mess.
--
Horst von Brand vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viña del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616