       Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 21:35:28 +1000
    From: Richard Gooch <Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU>

    The reason I think that persistence is a side issue is because adding
    it will not change the API nor the way the devfs internal management
    is done. However, I expect we'll continue to disagree on this point.
    That said, I'd rather look to the future. I'm currently considering
    two options for persistence:

    - using a block device

    - peeking through to the underlying disc-based inodes.

    Ted, do you have any particular preferences/suggestions on this?

    My preference would be to store the inodes in the filesystem. If you're
    going to be using a user mode daemon anyway, as you've suggested in
    other mail messages, then let's define a well-defined interface for the
    kernel to notify the user mode daemon that new devices has apeeared
    (either at boot time or due to a PCMCIA/USB/1384 device getting
    inserted), so that the user mode daemon can create the devices as

    This follows the fundamental principal of keeping policy out of the
    kernel (an argument which you yourself have advanced), and doing as much
    as possible in usermode. Performance won't be an issue, since if the
    user-mode daemon is automatically creating the devices, you won't have
    "8 million devices" in /dev (despite that favoriate devfs strawman
    argument). True, lookups will still have to go through /dev, but the
    dcache pretty much obviates that argument. (Also consider that opening
    devices is generally in the noise as far as most applications are
    concerned. It's hardly a common case that we need to optimize.)

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.045 / U:20.588 seconds]