SubjectRe: Problem with portmap/RPC
> systems.  You can fix it by either changing the init scripts to
> start the the port mapper (rpc.portmap) before mounting NFS
> (mount -at nfs) or you can add a "nolock" option to the NFS
> mounts in your fstab. The init script fix is trivial in
> Slackware (just edit /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2) but RedHat init is so
> complicated I just blew it off and used the "nolock" option.

The Linux FSSTND/System 5 style init scripts that most people use
just look complex when you first meet them. They are processed in number
order so you just need to reorder the scripts in question. So drop in
to /etc/rc.d/rc3.d (/etc/rc3.d on some dists [1]) and move portmap ahead
of nfsfs.

[1] This is one of the glitches the LSB/LCS stuff has to cure