SubjectRe: cua* vs ttyS*
On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Szabolcs Ban wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I always get error messages, when I switch between X and console.
> > gpm says cua0 is not a good choice to my mouse :]]
> > If I believe at that message, the ttyS0 said me it was buzy by the gpm, so I
> > couldn't start X.
> > Solution?
> >
> Edit /etc/inittab so it is not trying to use ttyS0 for a 'getty'. Then
> you should be able to use ttyS0 for your serial mouse. Unless you remember
> the magic signal to send init (I don't), you will have to re-boot.

I haven't tried this recently, but when I tried moving /dev/mouse to point
to /dev/ttyS0 instead of /dev/cua0 it completely broke gpm. ttyS0 is
definately not in use by anything else.

ATM I just patch the kernel to get rid of the message and all is fine, but
I guess that won't work eventually. Incidentally, when is cua* going to
become completely obsolete (as in non-functioning)?

--
Mike <rickettm@ox.compsoc.net>

Forgive and forget.
-- Cervantes