    SubjectRe: DevFS vs. normal /dev (was DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???))

    On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Horst von Brand wrote:

    > How do you reference, say, /dev/fd0 if the floppy module isn't even loaded?
    > You need to do that so kmod loads the module, as things stand now.
    > --
    > Dr. Horst H. von Brand mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl
    > Departamento de Informatica Fono: +56 32 654431
    > Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria +56 32 654239
    > Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile Fax: +56 32 797513

    This is an issue I raised the other day. Currently, to enable dynamic
    device loading, you must use the magic tar stuff to create the device
    in advance with the correct permissions owner, and group. There is
    a fundamental "chicken and the egg" problem with the auto-creation
    of device special nodes and use of kmod to auto-load modules.
    Now in _theory_ Devfs could intercept any query for the existance
    of a device special file to then use a daemon to automagically create
    device special files with the right permissions owner, and group,
    and then if the permissions are correct, tell kmod to load the
    module. Then if it doesn't work, you get the same behavior as now
    when a device isn't supported by the kernel. And in theory, Devfs
    could then, when the last reference to a particular device special
    file is closed, tell the user space daemon to blow away the file.

    Of course, it doesn't do this now.

    -Erik

    --
    Erik B. Andersen Web: http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/