SubjectRe: Irritating ext2fs corruption
On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Jakob Borg wrote:

> Deleted inodes not being written to disk isn't usually a large
> problem, but lately it has become one for me. I burn a lot of cd's and
> have a few cd images laying around. About 1 time of 4 i delete such an
> image, I do not get the disk space back. Only way to get it back is to
> remount and fsck the partition. Always with just one "deleted inode
> has zero dtime" and masses of scrolling.
>
> I know this is is considered a "normal" behavior and nothing to worry
> about, but it's still irritating... Any fix?
>
> This is on a IDE drive, the problem seems to be more likely to occur
> if there is a lot of disk access going on.

I dismount the drives by hand during shutdown then wait awhile
before hitting the switch. I was given a patch for a recent version
of the kernel that waits internally after a dismount to do the same
thing, but it is not in the current distributions.

I have my own version of 'reboot' to fix the problem when I want
to reboot over the network.

It's on:
ftp://boneserver.analogic.com/pub/downloads/linux/reboot.tar.gz

It makes sure that drives are cleanly dismounted.

In the meantime to shut down do:
su ..
# kill -TERM -1
# sync
# kill -KILL -1
# sync
# umount -a
.... wait until disk activity stops.

Hit the switch. You don't need to halt the CPU. Also If you have
remote (network) drives mounted, don't shut down the network
using ifconfig... The machine may wait forever trying to dismount
network drives, failing to dismount the local ones also.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.111 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.079 / U:1.772 seconds]