SubjectRe: Stupid df tricks
On 1998.07.08, Richard Gooch <Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU> wrote:
> You're pissing in the wind here. This is typical FSF arrogance. This
> whole bloody texinfo thing is being shoved down our collective
> throats. It really pisses me off that these tools no longer come with
> up-to-date manual pages. It's these sort of things that makes GNU
> utilities incompatible with UNIX. So much for a drop-in replacement.

I had the delicious misfortune of having to skim through the gcc.info
pages the other day, to stumble upon a rant about "controlling look
and feel". Yet, the same exact organization is trying to use a
proprietary look-and-feel interface to their documentation information
[read: GNU info(1)]. Does this smell like hypocrasy to anyone else?

I hope some kind soul out there with plenty of time on their hands can
do the Linux and GNU community out there some good and backport all
that ugly GNU info documentation back into *roff format as proper
man pages. I may find time to do this for my "favorite" manpages,
at least.

As a gentle compromise (since so few people seem to *know* *roff),
how about a backport of GNU info pages to Perl's POD format, which
is quite simple to create and maintain, from which anyone who
wishes to have real manpages can simply pod2man to get *roff output
and have real manpages?

-Dossy

--
Now I'm who I want to be, where I want to be, doing what I've always said I
would and yet I feel I haven't won at all... (Aug 9, 95: Goodbye, JG.)