    SubjectRe: AA55 signature at the end of Linux bootsector
    > I don't think anybody else in the world refers to a partition table as
    > a boot-sector. A boot-sector, by definition, is used to boot an
    > operating system. With LILO and MS-DOS's fdisk, this is called the
    > Master Boot Record (MBR). VAXen call this a "boot-block", and even
    > paper-tape calls this a "boot-record".
    I did not refer to a partition table as a boot-sector. I refered to the
    first sector of a partition that contains a kernel (Linux, DOS, UW7,
    whatever) as a bootsector. The first sector of the disk itself is a master
    boot record, which is different.

    Partition table is just a part of MBR.

    Have a nice day,
    Tigran A. Aivazian |
    Escalations Research Group | Email:
    Santa Cruz Operation Ltd |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.018 / U:3.292 seconds]