    SubjectRe: File-descriptors - large quantities
    Michael O'Reilly wrote:
    > Dancer <> writes:
    > > My math says I should need a max of about 6000fds to have the server
    > > keep up with requests. I figured that if the performance hit was not
    > > _too_ extreme that 12000 should be relatively future-proof.
    > >
    > > The particular bit of software (squid 1.1) I think has poll(2) as an
    > > option. I've not looked at that part of the source closely of late.
    > You'd be _way_ better off going to squid 1.2.

    I'm on the squid-dev list. I test and run 1.2-beta caches on a
    test-bench server, mimicing the sorts of requests that we get on our
    production machines. Too unstable for our needs. We would lose face and
    testicles. Big time.

    > We run a VERY busy cache, and rarely see over 1500 FDs in use. Unless
    > your external links are slower than a wet piece of string (driving up
    > your request time-to-complete to the ridiculous), more than 3000fds in
    > use is an indicator of a problem elsewhere.

    We're hanging directly off the Brisbane Telstra POP (several metres from
    the router). Yes, I would say that - at times - a piece of wet string
    would be preferable. We hit our problems during upstream network chokes
    that officially "don't happen".

    > I strongly suspect your squid is bogged down on disk requests causing
    > the number of requests outstanding grow to silly amounts. Moving to
    > squid 1.2beta22 will dramatically improve your diskk thruput and
    > corresponsibly reduce the average request time-to-complete.

    No, we don't have disk-choking problems. The disk throughput is still
    way short of maxed out.

    Version: 3.1
    ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:27.796 seconds]