SubjectRe: File-descriptors - large quantities
Michael O'Reilly wrote:

> Dancer <dancer@brisnet.org.au> writes:
> > My math says I should need a max of about 6000fds to have the server
> > keep up with requests. I figured that if the performance hit was not
> > _too_ extreme that 12000 should be relatively future-proof.
> >
> > The particular bit of software (squid 1.1) I think has poll(2) as an
> > option. I've not looked at that part of the source closely of late.
>
> You'd be _way_ better off going to squid 1.2.

I'm on the squid-dev list. I test and run 1.2-beta caches on a
test-bench server, mimicing the sorts of requests that we get on our
production machines. Too unstable for our needs. We would lose face and
testicles. Big time.

> We run a VERY busy cache, and rarely see over 1500 FDs in use. Unless
> your external links are slower than a wet piece of string (driving up
> your request time-to-complete to the ridiculous), more than 3000fds in
> use is an indicator of a problem elsewhere.

We're hanging directly off the Brisbane Telstra POP (several metres from
the router). Yes, I would say that - at times - a piece of wet string
would be preferable. We hit our problems during upstream network chokes
that officially "don't happen".

> I strongly suspect your squid is bogged down on disk requests causing
> the number of requests outstanding grow to silly amounts. Moving to
> squid 1.2beta22 will dramatically improve your diskk thruput and
> corresponsibly reduce the average request time-to-complete.

No, we don't have disk-choking problems. The disk throughput is still
way short of maxed out.