    SubjectRe: [offtopic] dual vga?

    On Tue, 7 Jul 1998 linker@nightshade.ml.org wrote:

    > On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Martin Mares wrote:
    >
    > > > This may or may not be a kernel issue, but is there a way to have a
    > > > dual-head machine with two vga cards in it? (as opposed to vga+mda)

    With fbcon going mainstream on x86 it has now become a kernel issue at
    last. The support may already be present, for all I know, but it is an
    issue that fbcon needs to address within the kernel.

    > > With ISA cards it's impossible since the I/O and memory addresses
    > > conflict with each other. With several PCI cards it's possible, but
    > > I know no drivers supporting it (AFAIK, different cards do configuration
    > > of addresses in different ways).

    Accelerated X supports multi-head support with *some* video cards, for
    the list see www.xinside.com. GGI supports multi-head via KGI, but you
    may want to wait until GGI enters ALPHA before playing with it :-)

    > Just upgrade to Windows 98! It had dual-head support and FAT32 so you can
    > have drives bigger then two gigs! Also, it has improved networking so your
    > computer doesn't mysteriously hard lock when you go and piss people off in
    > #linux!
    >
    > /me ducks! :) :) :)

    /me slaps you with a wet fish.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.041 / U:31.800 seconds]