    SubjectRe: AA55 signature at the end of Linux bootsector
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: Tigran Aivazian <tigran@sco.COM>
    In newsgroup:
    > Hello guys,
    > Just a suggestion: would it not be nice to have a 0xAA55 signature at the
    > end of the bootsector (NOT an MBR!) of the Linux root partition so that
    > commercial bootloaders (e.g. the one that comes with UnixWare 7) could
    > load it just as easily as they load dos/windows stuff instead of giving
    > "Missing operating system" error?

    You're missing that you don't just need a signature... you need a BOOT
    LOADER there too!!

    > Btw, just to confirm, am I right in assuming that LILO does put AA55
    > signature at the end of bootsector if installed in a partition instead of
    > an MBR?

    Yes it does; as does it if you install it in an MBR (the MBR is just a
    boot sector in itself that happens to also contain a partition table.)

    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See for web page and full PGP public key
    I am Bahá'í -- ask me about it or see
    "To love another person is to see the face of God." -- Les Misérables

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.022 / U:38.092 seconds]