SubjectRe: AA55 signature at the end of Linux bootsector
Date
Followup to:  <Pine.LNX.3.96.980708090211.1239D-100000@einstein.london.sco.com>
By author: Tigran Aivazian <tigran@sco.COM>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> Hello guys,
>
> Just a suggestion: would it not be nice to have a 0xAA55 signature at the
> end of the bootsector (NOT an MBR!) of the Linux root partition so that
> commercial bootloaders (e.g. the one that comes with UnixWare 7) could
> load it just as easily as they load dos/windows stuff instead of giving
> "Missing operating system" error?

You're missing that you don't just need a signature... you need a BOOT
LOADER there too!!

> Btw, just to confirm, am I right in assuming that LILO does put AA55
> signature at the end of bootsector if installed in a partition instead of
> an MBR?

Yes it does; as does it if you install it in an MBR (the MBR is just a
boot sector in itself that happens to also contain a partition table.)

-hpa
--
PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key