    SubjectRe: Linux in Mondays NY Times
    On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Bob Nielsen wrote:

    > On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    > > Worse that that. If you buy any Intel processor since the 8086, US$5.00
    > > of the cost is a license fee paid to Micro$haft. Micro$haft claims
    > > ownership to the "Intel Architecture", i.e., what used to be called
    > > the "IBM-PC/AT". They "purchased" the rights to this design from IBM
    > > sometime in the early '70s, waited about 10 years for major developments
    > > to be made by Intel and others, then threatened a suit. The settlement
    > > was a 5.00 per processor fee to be paid by the end-user.

    Will this also appy directly or indirectly to chips bought in the UK ? I
    swore I wouldn't give them any money ever.

    "Solomon Waters of Altadena, a 6-year-old first-grader, came home from his
    first day of school and excitedly told his mother how he had written on
    'a machine that looks like a computer -- but without the TV screen.' She
    asked him if it could have been a 'typewriter.' 'Yeah! Yeah!' he said.
    'That's what it was called.'"
    - LA Times

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.037 / U:34.648 seconds]