SubjectRe: Linux IEEE-488 (GPIB) cards?
In message <35A15BC9.4D2ED043@tampabay.rr.com>, Lance Dillon writes:
+-----
| maybe its just a faulty memory here, but i think i remember the
| commodore 64 having that same interface (IEEE-488)?
+--->8
You remember correctly. In fact, every CBM machine except the Amiga used
some form of it. (I *think* the Amiga didn't use it, but I could well be
wrong on that point.)

| am i correctly remembering this? (its been a while since i did any
| programming on one)....if so, why is it coming back? or, perhaps better,
| why did it ever leave?
+--->8

It never left; but CBM was the only company to design computers around it.
Otherwise, it was used pretty much exclusively for laboratory test
equipment. The reason being that, like SCSI, HPIB/GPIB/IEEE-488 requires
"intelligent" peripherals which are more expensive than dumb ones that you
can stick on a ST-506 or IDE or other interface that makes the main CPU do
all the work. (Commodore used a cheapened-down version of IEEE-488; it
wasn't quite compatible with the real thing, and had various problems due to
the cheapening-down.)

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu