    SubjectRe: Linux IEEE-488 (GPIB) cards?
    In message <35A15BC9.4D2ED043@tampabay.rr.com>, Lance Dillon writes:
    +-----
    | maybe its just a faulty memory here, but i think i remember the
    | commodore 64 having that same interface (IEEE-488)?
    +--->8

    You remember correctly. In fact, every CBM machine except the Amiga used
    some form of it. (I *think* the Amiga didn't use it, but I could well be
    wrong on that point.)

    | am i correctly remembering this? (its been a while since i did any
    | programming on one)....if so, why is it coming back? or, perhaps better,
    | why did it ever leave?
    +--->8

    It never left; but CBM was the only company to design computers around it.
    Otherwise, it was used pretty much exclusively for laboratory test
    equipment. The reason being that, like SCSI, HPIB/GPIB/IEEE-488 requires
    "intelligent" peripherals which are more expensive than dumb ones that you
    can stick on a ST-506 or IDE or other interface that makes the main CPU do
    all the work. (Commodore used a cheapened-down version of IEEE-488; it
    wasn't quite compatible with the real thing, and had various problems due to
    the cheapening-down.)

    --
    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:3.482 / U:0.168 seconds]