SubjectRe: Is the boot logo politically correct?
Well, first of all, the main reason it should be a plain penguin,
despite people saying "we should do what we want, screw them" etc.
Is because some of us have to get linux to be accepted by people who
might count a beer-drinking bird as a logo against linux.
Not that we should share their views, or that we are doing this to make
everyone happy. I think we should do this so it removes a possible
impediment to the acceptance of linux. period.
So the discussion isn't whether it is acceptable to US, but whether it
may hinder the acceptance of linux by others. Some of us like to use
linux in situations where it must be approved by others (who may not be
as open minded as we are).

Oliver Xymoron wrote:
> Same here. Here's the solution I propose (would have tried it here first,
> but don't have VESA 2.0 card to test out vesafb - argh): have the logo be
> the standard Larry Ewing penguin, except when you hold down ALT (think
> mind-ALTering) at boot.
Excellent! A (small) kernel easter egg. I like this idea very much. :)

Chris

PS I got some SYN errors on localhost connections when checking some
software I'm writing at home on a different machine, so it is not
hardware (as previously suspected). I shall do some more altering and
figure it out and let people know.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.069 / U:3.772 seconds]