    SubjectRe: 2.1.111: IDE DMA disabled...BLAH...BLAH...

    On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Mark Lord wrote:

    > Yet, for some inexplicable reason, Linux continues to default
    > to "external cache == ON" on all systems, when it would be a
    > heck of a lot better off to disable caches at boot time.
    >
    > After all, a user-level utility could easily be written (with
    > kernel hooks) to turn the caches on after booting, if safe to do so.

    Umm. The difference between "cache on" and "cache off" is a bit more
    drastic than "use DMA for IDE" and "don't use DMA for IDE", wouldn't you
    say?

    You can test it if you wish.

    The point being that a system that has cache problems is just terminally
    ill, while a system with DMA problems might be fixable. Fixable by having
    a list of known bad disk or BIOS vendors, for example.

    Which, btw, is what I've been asking for all the time.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:60.868 seconds]