    SubjectRe: minor patch for 2.1.111 fs/open.c
    Bill Hawes writes:
    > In reviewing the usage of inuse filps I found a minor race problem in
    > do_open. Following an open failure the dentry is dput(), but the
    > filp->f_dentry field needs to be cleared first. If this is not done, a
    > block in dput() may allow the filp to be observed with a stale dentry
    > pointer, and an attempt to dereference it could be a problem.

    Could this possibly be related to an ongoing problem I've observed
    with corrupted /etc/mtab files? As you know, mount(8) creates
    /etc/mtab~ with O_EXCL for locking purposes. I have noticed for a long
    time now that sometimes (say when stopping automount daemons) that
    /etc/mtab gets corrupted. I've looked at the mount(8) code and it
    appears to be doing the correct thing. It may be that there is a race
    condition with open(2) and O_EXCL (I have an SMP machine).

    Whatever the bug is, it's really annoying, as many times when I reboot
    I end up doing fsck, which is not fun when you have a lot of disc :-(
    Note that I have about 13 automount daemons running, so if there is a
    race condition I'm more likely to hit it than someone with just one or

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.020 / U:7.768 seconds]