    SubjectRe: Another IDE UDMA issue
    Jamie Lokier wrote:
    > Noting all the discussion about IDE DMA, I thought I'd mention:
    > My BIOS enables UDMA, it is configured that way.
    > Whenever I run Linux 2.1.x (pre 2.1.111 presumably) with default
    > settings, I can expect a complete system freeze within a few days.
    > If I explicitly disable DMA with ide0=nodma, I never get a freeze but
    > IDE data throughput drops to half its former rate (4.5MB/s vs. 9MB/s
    > approx). And there's the CPU load issue. I can't say I've noticed the
    > difference in "feel" though. Presumably it's more critical when there's
    > lots of paging.
    > Recently following an idea on this list, I tried `hdparm -X34 /dev/hda'
    > instead of disabling DMA. I think this changes the DMA timings on the
    > driver, to something faster (so it's not a cable issue). And now the
    > system is reliable again -- I've had no freezes with this setting with
    > several weeks use. The throughput is back to the UDMA rate.
    > I'm under the impression that this is a timing thing that the kernel
    > can't possibly work out reliably. But I thought I'd mention that I do
    > have UDMA problems that can be cured without turning off UDMA.
    > I have one of the supposedly "good at UDMA" Quantum drives -- a Quantum
    > Fireball ST 6.4GB.
    > My chipset is a VIA VP2/97.
    > In not setting the drive right, the BIOS is presumably one that sucks. :-)

    I have the same chipset with a cheap Seagate 3.2GB. No problems.
    I also have the MVP3 with a Maxtor 7GB with no problems.
    I'm about to do some speed tests now ;)

    BTW, what mobo is it you have with VP2/97? Mine is
    the FIC PA-2007.

    Robert Dale

    "arrest this man he talks in maths"

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.021 / U:1.028 seconds]