SubjectRe: censorship paranoia

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Perry Harrington wrote:

> Then don't enable fbcon if you don't like it. Even better, hack the code
> out of your source tree.
>
> This doesn't really matter much. We're talking about a friggin graphic that
> lives on a small part of the real estate for a few seconds during kernel init.
>
> --Perry
>

> > Censorship is terrible and a beer-drinking penguin is funny,
> > but this joke is getting old. It's not professional and it
> > will get Linux banned in most of the Middle East.
> >
> > Really, this is just dumb. Imagine you want to get Linux
> > accepted at work. The boss is sceptical already, and then
> > he sees a beer-dringing penguin. It's funny, but real dumb.

I dont want to put words in his mouth, but I think the point he was trying
to make is that it will be tough to get people to accept linux as an OS
they would want to use for enterprise applications if the first thing they
see is a drunk penguin. I know a few pointy-haired managers who wouldnt
like that, and it would be more work to explain why the hell that beer is
there and why linux should be taken seriously. I think its cool, and
personally if i had a choice i would chose that as *MY* bootlogo. I
wouldnt put it on a machine i used at work though. Something people
already suggested and I agree with is having a milder boot logo, with
options for whatever you want in the kernel config.

Sure, its pathetic that the world has turned so Politically Correct that
everyone is trying to not step on anyone's toes, but i think its a small
point and one i tend to agree with.

--