SubjectRe: K6-2/300, M5229 TX Pro Chipset (IDE hangs)

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Matthias L Jugel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we've got a new computer with the following hardware:
>
> MS-5169 Motherboard, AL9 Ver: 2 (newest BIOS)
> AMD-K6-II CPU, 128MB RAM
> IBM DHEA 36481 (6.4 GB HD)
> TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6202
>
> Now, I am having trouble getting Linux to install, because the
> system hangs after a while with
>
> hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

I get this same problem with a cyrix 6x86MX-PR200, SiS 5577 Chipset mobo.
I have a 3.4gb drive on the on-board ide, and a 4.3 on a Promise UDMA
controller. I only get this error at boot, and only from the drive that
is on the onboard controller. (I have to have a drive on this controller
since it also has BeOS on it, if you were wondering.)

> messages if I use a 2.0.34 kernel.
>
> Using a 2.1.111 kernel I get the message that the PCI_IDE controller is
> unknown (it is correctly identified in /proc/pci as a M5229 TX Pro chipset).
>
> Now, still the system locks up after a few minutes (even faster with the 2.1
> kerbel) and tells me:
>
> hda: lost interrupt

I had this happen once, i believe, and i solved it by using a shorter
cable. You might want to give that a try. I havent had any data
corruption/other problems since i swapped out the cable for a shorter one.

> From what I understand (after reading most of the messages here) is that that
> chipset is not fully supported and thus the initialization is broken. The
> hdparm gives me information that I believe is wrong (almost all features
> set to off).
>
> I do not get any further PCI_IDE: messages except the one about the unknown
> IDE controller and that the IDE is not 100% native mode, probing irq's later.
> That is all. The drives seem to be detected correctly, but the hd doesn't
> work for very long.
>
> Thanks,
> Leo.

I didnt have this problem at all with kernels before 2.0.34, and i didnt
have the problem with 2.1.x kernels. Since everything works ok, i'm not
too worried about it, but it does cost me about 20 seconds at boot time.
;)

--