    SubjectRe: Is the boot logo politically correct?
    At 08:53 PM 7/26/98 +0300, Johan Myréen wrote:
    >bootup? This message is not intended as a moral sermon on the
    >dangers of alcohol (I drink beer myself), but as a reminder
    >that not all cultures look that lightly on alcohol, at least
    >not officially.
    >
    >I would guess the reaction of these people to the logo is
    >about the same as how the average westener would react to an
    >injection needle in the hand of the penguin...

    There's a wonderfully useful book from Apple on internationalizing software
    for the Mac that would probably be very useful here. It has lists of
    various symbols that are offensive in various cultures. Anyone designing
    logos, icons, or putting images in a graphical application probably should
    get a copy.

    Considering what happened to Salmon Rushdie, I'd sure hate to make some
    playful icon or symbol, and find that I've pissed off Iran.

    --Tim Smith

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.028 / U:0.592 seconds]