    SubjectRe: 2.1.111: IDE DMA disabled?

    > For people that don't know about these corruption issues, the _only_ sane
    > default is to leave the DMA code turned off. Unless you have some way of
    > categorically making sure that it is absolutely safe to turn on, and so
    > far I haven't heard of any (a white-list is probably the best answer, but
    > I'd argue for keeping the white-list in user space where it belongs, and
    > just have a script in rc.d to parse the BIOS/PCI information).

    - Is using hdparm something the distribution developers will be able to
    determine upon doing an installation?

    - What do other operating systems do? Surely idiot systems like 95 can't
    rely on user-input for such a decision?

    - Why is it only IDE DMA, and not the bus-mastering DMA on my SCSI card?

    Dave

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.038 / U:63.796 seconds]