SubjectRe: 2.1.111: IDE DMA disabled?

> For people that don't know about these corruption issues, the _only_ sane
> default is to leave the DMA code turned off. Unless you have some way of
> categorically making sure that it is absolutely safe to turn on, and so
> far I haven't heard of any (a white-list is probably the best answer, but
> I'd argue for keeping the white-list in user space where it belongs, and
> just have a script in rc.d to parse the BIOS/PCI information).

- Is using hdparm something the distribution developers will be able to
determine upon doing an installation?

- What do other operating systems do? Surely idiot systems like 95 can't
rely on user-input for such a decision?

- Why is it only IDE DMA, and not the bus-mastering DMA on my SCSI card?

Dave