       Date: 	Sun, 26 Jul 1998 11:25:09 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Linus Torvalds <>

    The argument is proven false by the fact that people who saw
    corruption with DMA on didn't see it with DMA off.

    The BIOS argument is pure shit, I agree with you on that.

    And let's gander that if we asked all these people seeing corruption
    what kind of disk they are using, and they all say "Western Digital
    Caviar", are we going to disable IDE dma by default just because WD
    makes crap drives with buggy firmware? Really, in my experience it's
    always been a crappy WDC disk, the link between those disks and any
    kind of IDE dma corruption, for me, has been inseperable. Therefore
    the blacklist approach seems more reasonable if this is the case.

    (and BTW you're wrong on the window3.11 count, for CMD646+
    controllers, the drivers use ultraDMA by default for all capable
    devices, they have a little black list in their driver when I
    disassembled it a few months ago, I've checked other win3.11 IDE
    controller driver README's and they all seem to imply they are doing
    something along the same lines)

    David S. Miller

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:2.844 seconds]