[lkml]   [1998]   [Jul]   [24]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
Messages in this thread
    SubjectRe: FS Corruption in 2.1.109
    On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Christopher Seawood wrote:

    > > I don't think this is a filesystem problem, or I'd have been getting a lot
    > > more reports about it (and judging by how easily it happens to you I
    > > should have seen it myself). But there have been occasional grumblings
    > > about IDE DMA..
    > I disabled IDE-DMA in the kernel and everything seems to be working fine
    > now. Multiple rm/untar tests yielded no errors. I've compiled mozilla &
    > wine a few times and installed rh5.1 on the spare drive (while still
    > running 2.1.109). Nothing. Incidentally, a guy in our local LUG has
    > experienced the same problem with his Tyan TomcatIII mb under 2.1.108. He
    > said he disabled ide-dma (but didn't say where...kernel or drive) and his
    > problems went away.

    More than an year ago I have experienced a problem with my IDE drives. My
    setup was hda,hdb,hdc IDE HDs and hdd CDROM.
    With "maximum performance" settings I have started to experience data
    corruption on the filesystems (not really hard corruption, to be honest:
    one byte every some 100 megs of files copied .. the test was copying
    files all over the disks): even PIO mode 1 didn't work well. Setting by
    BIOS the PIO mode 0 for ALL the IDE devices cured the corruption problem.

    I have asked to Mark about this problem and he told me to check my IDE
    cables because it seemed to him that they where too much long. I have
    replaced the cables with shorter ones and the problem went away.


    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to
    Please read the FAQ at

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.020 / U:36.952 seconds]
    ©2003-2016 Jasper Spaans. hosted at Digital OceanAdvertise on this site