SubjectRe: vcsa devices in 2.1.110
Hello,
On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 10:54:30PM +0200, Martin Mares wrote:
> > I have two programs that use the /dev/vcsa devices that stopped working
> > properly in 2.1.110 (worked fine in 2.1.103, last devel kernel I used).
> > They appear to write normally, but what they display doesn't stay, it
> > flashes for an instant and the screen looks just like it did before I ran
> > the program. The programs appear to run fine, cursor positioning is
> > correct. Recompiling the apps doesn't help. The two programs in question
> > are fte (0.46b5 w/linux patch), and mcl (mud client for linux). Both are
> > available at www.abandoned.org/drylock.
> >
> > BTW, I'm not using the new frame buffer stuff.
> >
> > Hope this helps fix a bug!
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't ... as the bug is (hopefully) already fixed.
> Try pre-2.1.111-1.

I'm using pre-2.1.111-1 right know and it seems that the bug is fixed
there. But there are still some problems. The first one that I think
everybody noticed is if you try to switch to an unallocated console then
the cursor disappears(because of the call to hide_cursor(console_fg) which
is done just before change_console(want_console) in console_bh() from
console.c). I fixed that by moving the call to vt.c: change_console just
right before complete_change_console(of course I changed the prototype for
hide_cursor) but I'm not sure that this is the right way.

The second problem that I noticed is happening when I'm running rhide(not
me.. a friend, because I like vim) and the current position of cursor gets a
wrong character when moving it. I'm not sure what's happening there but it
seems a bug because this didn't happen with 2.1.106 or before.

I'm not using the frame buffer stuff but I like changing the console to
80x30 using Video mode selection.

PS: rhide can be found at
http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~sho/rho/rhide-1.4/rhide-linux.html

--
dmircea

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.089 / U:0.068 seconds]