    SubjectRe: ftp.kernel.org full of lamers not using mirrors.

    On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Dominik Kubla wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Tom Rini wrote:
    > > As one of the many lamers who's slowly overloading kernel.org, is there a
    > > list of mirrors anyplace? Might be one of the reasons lots of people use
    > > ftp.kernel.org.
    >
    > May i suggest to use your webbrowser to fetch the kernel via http:
    >
    > http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.1/
    >
    > This works even when anonftp is locked out because of the user limit
    > and we can use the global webcache structure to distribute the kernel...
    >
    > Dominik

    if your FTP is full, i would assume that most of the bandwidth is gone at
    this point... how much does http help if the pipe (t1?) is already full?
    I share tom's sentiments, and I have a fairly fast (500kbps) connection,
    but kernel.org can hardly ever provide me with download speeds above
    20kb/sec, most times not above 15 (I can get around 40kb/sec from fast
    mirrors.) I scoured kernel.org for a long time trying to find ANY sort of
    list of people who might mirror the site. Eventually I just gave up and
    waited for ftpsearch.ntnu.no to find someone who had a copy of the kernel.
    Even though theres not a solid mirroring structure out there yet- do you
    have any sort of idea of some sites that keep a fairly curent mirror?

    --