    SubjectRe: Memory Rusting Effect [re: Linux hostile to poverty]

    On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Raj Dutt wrote:

    > Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > > > Windows have been there, done that. And people decided they didn't like
    > > > it and went to Linux. History repeats?
    > >
    > > Raising the bar has to be done. Windows issn't so much about raising the
    > > bar, as of doing it _badly_ (and excessively, in the case of WinNT).
    > At this point, ask ourselves.. is the role of Linux still in the rusty old PCs
    > inthe backroom? Or has the OS gained enough momentum and respect to start
    > to be commonly used in brand new, high end hardware. This is very relatedto how
    > much the bar should be raised.
    Keeping it running on rusty old PCs has a significant benefit, *if*
    the programming effort isn't too high. When a system runs fine on low end
    machines it will fly on high end machines. Inefficiences that are masked
    on decent half-gig RAM machines are exposed and easily debugged on low end

    I have seen this process work in the Apple MacOS world, where developers
    keep around older/slower machines just for that purpose.

    John Alvord

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.021 / U:28.832 seconds]