    SubjectRe: Memory Rusting Effect [re: Linux hostile to poverty]
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Andrej Presern wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Don't get me wrong - I'll make sure it works on an 8MB machine, but I
    > > > won't consider it a showstopper if it is noticeably slower than 2.0.x on
    > > > such a machine.
    > >
    > > Windows have been there, done that. And people decided they didn't like
    > > it and went to Linux. History repeats?
    > Raising the bar has to be done. Windows issn't so much about raising the
    > bar, as of doing it _badly_ (and excessively, in the case of WinNT).

    At this point, ask ourselves.. is the role of Linux still in the rusty old PCs
    inthe backroom? Or has the OS gained enough momentum and respect to start
    to be commonly used in brand new, high end hardware. This is very relatedto how
    much the bar should be raised.

    > Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.020 / U:64.092 seconds]