SubjectRe: Memory Rusting Effect [re: Linux hostile to poverty]
In message <>, "Albert D. Cahalan"
| Can't we increase system requirements with time? If not, then we
| must abide by the limits of the original PDP-7 hardware. That means
| we should be able to run Linux in 4096 18-bit words.
Folks, increased functionality and/or increased performance almost always
means increased memory footprint. There's no fix for that yet, as long as
the kernel itself can't be swapped (and I don't think we want to deal with
the *nasty* potential deadlocks inherent in swappable kernel memory!).

The difference with respect to Windows is that there's hardly any additional
functionality or performance to justify the bloat....
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
system administrator [WAY too many hats]
electrical and computer engineering
carnegie mellon university (bsa@kf8nh is still valid.)