    SubjectRe: Memory Rusting Effect [re: Linux hostile to poverty]
    In message <199807192246.SAA23379@jupiter.cs.uml.edu>, "Albert D. Cahalan"
    writ
    es:
    +-----
    | Can't we increase system requirements with time? If not, then we
    | must abide by the limits of the original PDP-7 hardware. That means
    | we should be able to run Linux in 4096 18-bit words.
    +--->8

    Folks, increased functionality and/or increased performance almost always
    means increased memory footprint. There's no fix for that yet, as long as
    the kernel itself can't be swapped (and I don't think we want to deal with
    the *nasty* potential deadlocks inherent in swappable kernel memory!).

    The difference with respect to Windows is that there's hardly any additional
    functionality or performance to justify the bloat....

    --
    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.018 / U:0.500 seconds]