    SubjectRe: Memory Rusting Effect [re: Linux hostile to poverty]
    In message <>, "Albert D. Cahalan"
    | Can't we increase system requirements with time? If not, then we
    | must abide by the limits of the original PDP-7 hardware. That means
    | we should be able to run Linux in 4096 18-bit words.

    Folks, increased functionality and/or increased performance almost always
    means increased memory footprint. There's no fix for that yet, as long as
    the kernel itself can't be swapped (and I don't think we want to deal with
    the *nasty* potential deadlocks inherent in swappable kernel memory!).

    The difference with respect to Windows is that there's hardly any additional
    functionality or performance to justify the bloat....

    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
    system administrator [WAY too many hats]
    electrical and computer engineering
    carnegie mellon university (bsa@kf8nh is still valid.)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.038 / U:0.120 seconds]