    SubjectRe: Cant' switch to VESA VGA (I wanna see the grafik logo!)
    > Well, I have 2 VESA Text modes in the list if tell the kernel "vga=ask"
    > and the kernel tells me that i have a vesa card in the headline of
    > "vga=ask" (but i don't know if this means that it is a VESA 2.0 card
    > which supports a linear frame buffer). The code after the "check_vesa"
    > mark in linux/arch/i386/boot/video.S just returns if the mode is ok or
    > not - what's about a more verbose message? ("badmdt" does not tell
    > anything except that it does not work. :-)
    >
    > But I guess that the S3 Virge card is VESA 2 compatible (it's not a very
    > old card). I can't find any manuals - so I'm not absolute sure about this.
    > How can I find out if I can use my card or not?

    I think S3 Virge BIOS supports only VESA 1.2 :-(

    > PS: Why is all this stuff written in pure assembler?
    > It's so hard to read. :-)

    All this stuff must be run in 16-bit real mode before we start the kernel
    and GCC doesn't know how to generate 16-bit code.

    Have a nice fortnight
    --
    Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@ucw.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
    "A LISP programmer knows value of everything, but cost of nothing."