SubjectRe: framebuffer stuff in v2.1.109
Hi,

> 1) Something seems to be wrong with the console drivers menu in make
> menuconfig/xconfig - can't select the VESA stuff at all, can only select
> VGA. I can post config stuff if required. Just sticking in CONFIG_FB_VESA
> doesn't seem to work; tkconfig seems to ignore it and removes it when
> saving. This may be true for other items that I haven't seen in this area.

In 2.1.109 you can configure vesafb only if you don't configure
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE. In my recent console patch, you can configure both
and depending on bootup video mode selection either vesafb or vgacon
gets used.

> 2) Messing with the VGA stuff, got this rather nice 132x25 text console,
> but unfortunately, I just noticed that this screwed up my Cirrus Logic
> 5429VLB 2MB card considerably - it does work in text mode but when
> starting up X, the whole 1280x1024@8bpp display looks messed up. Tried
> rebooting, but problem still persisted, even with different mode
> selections. This obviously needs fixing.. i.e total hard reset of graphic
> card required [I used to see this problem when booting from Windows95
> (which was in 1024x768@16bpp) to Linux - this went away when I deleted
> Windows95 from my machine :o)].

Known problem, already fixed in my patch.

> 3) Where's the boot logo? (is this connected in any way with the VESA
> stuff?) I did hear it was removed in 2.1.108 ("too bad to live"), but I
> thought a better one was put in.

The boot logo is displayed only on frame buffer consoles. Vgacon
doesn't display the text mode logo as it was very ugly.

> 4) The list of modes that comes up when lilo has VGA=ASK in it isn't
> terribly logical when I type in scan. How about clearly distinguishing the
> different modes available for VGA/VESA/BIOS et. al? Adding on the graphic
> resolutions/pixel depth would be cool and less confusing for the poor wee
> user [thankfully my monitor just cuts out if wrong frequencies are used -
> this is really a god send - you can tell by the light on it that changes
> to yellow if somehow you've selected a *bad* mode - avoids damage!]

It might be nice, but currently I've lots of other things to do than
enhancing the video mode menu. See also Documentation/svga.txt for a guide
to mode numbers.

Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@ucw.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"Maintenance-free: When it breaks, it can't be fixed..."