    SubjectRe: ext2fs enhacement/fix [re: shrinking directories]

    Does that mean you have to unmount the file system?

    > How about a simple utility, added to the ext2 utilities, that compacts
    > directories that can be run periodically as the user wishes. By the way
    > don't these ghost entries hamper performance, albeit possibly by a
    > negligible amount. I would think that these ghost entries get processed
    > along with the other entries whenever the directory is accessed. And if
    > this utility is made other file system optimization options can be thrown
    > in. Perhaps the directory entries can be sorted by their last access date
    > as the directory is compacted so as to improve file access performance.

    The Feynman problem solving Algorithm
    1) Write down the problem
    2) Think real hard
    3) Write down the answer
    Murray Gell-mann in the NY Times

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.022 / U:13.324 seconds]