SubjectRe: DLLs [OFFTOPIC]

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 12:29:09PM +0530, Somnath Roy wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there any guideline for writing DLLs in Linux ?
>
> Shared libraries? ELF?
>
> Get the libc source and look at the makefile(s).

I think the question was more directed towards the late binding
aspects of DLLs. Shared ELF libraried are bound to an executable
at link time. DLLs can be bound at link time (similar to the shared
library) or they can be loaded (under Windows anyway) with calls to:

CoLoadLibrary(char * lpszLibName, unsigned long bAutoFree);
CoFreeLibrary(long hInst);
CoFreeUnusedLibraries(void);

This facilitates certain types of programming. The question then
was probably, what Linux APIs can be used for late binding of a
library (comparable to the above mentioned windows APIs).

I don't know the answer, and this is off topic, but I would be
interested in knowing the answer as well.

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen Web: http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
email: andersee@debian.org

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.064 / U:0.044 seconds]