SubjectRe: ext2fs enhacement/fix [re: shrinking directories]
> > I'd like to see the problem take care of and in the next 2.0.4x
> Why?
> Do you have some application thats adversly affected by this?
> And does such a feature really belong in 2.0.x (or 2.2.x for that matter) ?

yes. those of us that use high end servers feel the pressure of
performance loss. take for example a mail server that gets hit with spam
relaying or a list run amuck. the queue directory gets excessively slow.
it remains this way until an admin comes along, shuts down service and
fixes it. downtime is highly unacceptable.

news. same reasons. even longer downtimes to fix.

for whatever application this idea serves, it is desired and the sooner
the better. we fight the NT trolls everyday and it isn't easy to convince
The Boss (tm) to keep the linux systems going. yes, sure, after a bout
with NT, they realise linux is better. that bout is costly however.

-d
--
Please read the linux/Documentation/ files and review the last week of mail
on linux-kernel before posting your problem.