    SubjectRe: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing
        I'm not against making GIMP work better with KDE. I just don't think
    we need to link with qt to do it.

    I think that is a good idea, to cooperate with the KDE developers in
    this way. It would be good to avoid a fork in the GIMP, and good
    to avoid ill will between two groups of free software developers.

    The KDE developers fell into a pitfall--Qt was the bait--and as a
    result their work can't be included in a wholly free operating system.
    This was a serious mistake, but we all make mistakes. To hold it
    against them would be our mistake.

    What we should do, instead of blaming, is spread the understanding of
    why this is a mistake, so that other people won't do the same thing.

    By the way, someone said that we "accepted silently" the practice of
    using Motif. That is not what happened. Back in the 1980s the GNU
    project was already urging people not to use Motif, and encouraging
    people to write a free replacement for it. Eventually someone did.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.018 / U:33.800 seconds]