    SubjectRe: 109pre2 video problem with X
    On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Craig Schlenter wrote:

    > Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 11:34:19 +0200 (SAST)
    > From: Craig Schlenter <craig@is.co.za>
    > To: Meelis Roos <mroos@tartu.cyber.ee>
    > Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
    > Subject: Re: 109pre2 video problem with X
    >
    > > Also a strange thing happened just some minutes ago. The screen image
    > > shifted about a half to the right (or to the left). Mouse worked as the
    > > windows were on normal places, just the image was shifted. Switching to
    > > a text console and back put it back.
    > >
    > > Wrote about it because I heard somebody had similar problem here (shift of
    > > 1/8 of the screen).
    >
    > Yes, I have had this happen to me too. Interestingly the screen shift
    > co-incides almost exactly with the output of syslog messages saying:
    >
    > Jul 14 10:27:14 flashy kernel: ^IWaiting for 3c509 to discard packet,
    > status 2001.
    >
    > Hmmmm .... perhaps there is some strange interaction there.
    >
    > I'm using fvwm2 as my window manager and I have a S3 video card, RH5.1,
    > 2.1.109pre2. Anything similar to your setup?

    That happens to me at least once a day or more, depending on how
    much I use X. I have a Cirrus 5446 PCI with 2M, and am running
    2.0.35. Any attempts at contacting the X people, redhat, or
    anyone else on any mailing lists have turned up no replies to a
    fix, but have turned up other users with the same problems with
    different hardware. Houston, I think we have a problem.

    --
    Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

    Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your
    PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.021 / U:4.500 seconds]