SubjectRe: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing

Umm. The use of QT is against the GPL on the Gimp. Your mods of the kernel
were not against the GPL (assuming you passed on the source with your
modifyed kernels).. If you wanted to make violate the GPL of the kernel
you'd need permission from every kernel developer.

On 14 Jul 1998, david parsons wrote:

> In article <linux.kernel.19980712143639.24150@yosh.gimp.org>,
> Manish Singh <yosh@gimp.org> wrote:
>
> >This is why I have advised the KDE people that if they wish to distribute
> >their KDEified GIMP, they should get permission from every tenant of the
> >GIMP copyright (which includes the FSF, there is FSF copyrighted code in
> >GIMP). If one tenant disagrees, no go.
>
> This would be a horrible precedent that would chill commercial
> software development for Linux. For example, I developed a variant
> Linux kernel for use with McAfee Associate's _WebShield_ product.
> This happened about the same time as the bliss virus came out and the
> black helicopter fringe was shrieking about McAfee being the
> antichrist of the week for having the temerity to claim that virii
> are possible on Unix. Get permission from all of the people who'd
> contributed code to the Linux kernel before taking that kernel and
> modifying it for McAfee? Yeah, right, and then I'd discover that a
> Trend Micro employee contributed something to the kernel and, `no,
> we'd rather not let a competitor get any advantage from this free
> system.'
>
> If you GPLed your code, you have to live with it being GPLed. This
> includes it being used and modified by your competitors.
>
> ____
> david parsons \bi/ Sorry.
> \/
>
> -
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.altern.org/andrebalsa/doc/lkml-faq.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.100 / U:0.372 seconds]