Subjectmmap_dma() for user space code?
Hi All,

In a message related to my other message on I/O permissions for V86
tasks, I have also come across the problem of trying to figure out
how to allocate a chunk of physically contiguous, page-locked memory
that can be used for PCI bus master DMA operations. This is not for
getting the BIOS to work, but rather for getting our 2D and 3D
acceleration code working under Linux.

I asked a couple of questions about this on the linux newsgroups, and
people pointed me at this mailing list and a specific thread about
this a while back and Linus was talking about implementing an
mmap_dma() system call. This particular system calls sounds like
exactly what I need to solve our problem, so my question is what was
the outcome of this, and has such as system call been added to the
latest 2.1.x kernel source tree?

If not, what do we need to do in order to get it implemented? I would
really like to see this system call become a standard feature of 2.2
so that our code can work out of the box with Linux 2.2 systems.

Regards,

| SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software! |
| Kendall Bennett | Email: KendallB@scitechsoft.com |
| Director of Engineering | Phone: (530) 894 8400 |
| SciTech Software, Inc. | Fax : (530) 894 9069 |
| 505 Wall Street | ftp : ftp.scitechsoft.com |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA | www : http://www.scitechsoft.com |