    SubjectRe: ext2fs: do directories ever shrink?
    Clifford Wolf wrote:

    > A general behaviour with UNIX files is that a file can never shrink! A
    > file can be trucated - but it can shrink e.g. from 10 bytes to 5. Since
    > a directory is just a file it can't shrink too (except the implementation
    > contains additional code for it).

    I don't understand this; are you saying that files can shrink or not?
    What on earth does the directory as a file fills up with anyway? [The
    largest directory size I've seen is 40,000 blocks for a directory filled
    up with images and then these images were deleted!) Clearly there is a
    benefit of reclaiming this - any chance the fsck process can
    automatically reclaim this on reboots?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.020 / U:25.528 seconds]