SubjectRe: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing
Seeing as how the KDE vs. GNOME thread apparently really *is* the most
important thing ever to happen in the world of Linux and must be forced on
everyone involved with it (now I remember why I left the Linux community.
Thanks, folks.)....

In message <m0yvRUy-001D8bC@valiant.koehntopp.de>, Kristian Koehntopp writes:
+-----
| In netuse.lists.linux-kernel you write:
| >If the interfaces
| >standardize, end users will end up mixing GPL'ed and non-GPL'ed components
| >all over the place. There are hints of this in the Windows world already
| Actually, this is already happing today, whenever dynamic
| linking is used to load a propietary application and load it on
| a GPLed operating system or whenever a propietary operating
| system loads GPLed code.
+--->8

More than that. Quite a bit of GNU software is available on OS/2, and an
ever-growing amount on Win32 platforms --- both of which access the actual
OS (not just an interface library such as libc, mind you, but actual system
calls) as one or more DLLs. (In OS/2 it's DOSCALL1.DLL.) Are all such
ports illegal, then? If not, how does it differ from a Solaris distribution
that ships with Motif --- much less a Linux distribution which ships with Qt?

Wake me up when everyone wakes up and starts working on Linux again ---
don't bother if you all manage to drown the Open Source concept in a sea of
recriminations.

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:1.174 / U:0.200 seconds]