    SubjectRe: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing
    Tim Smith wrote:

    > At 08:10 AM 7/12/98 -0500, Terry L Ridder wrote:

    <snip>

    > >3. The FSF has stated that the QT library is not a system library
    > >and therefore it is against the GNU GPL to link GNU GPL'ed source
    > >code against it.
    >
    > Unless I missed the FSF's appointment to an open judicial position, their
    > opinion carries no more legal weight than anyone else's.

    Actually the FSF and specifically Richard M. Stallman do carry more
    legal
    weight than anyone else. The reason for this is that RMS with the help
    of
    lawyers wrote the GNU GPL. Therefore, as my intellectual property
    attorney
    points out, RMS has the primary responsibility of providing the "intent"
    background information for a court of law, he is also the primary
    resource
    to provide "clarification" of the GNU GPL both outside and inside a
    court
    of law.

    Richard M. Stallman stated quite clearly at the Linux Expo that KDE
    could
    not take GNU GPL'ed code written by someone outside of the KDE project
    team
    and use it. The QT library places restrictions on that source code which
    the original author did not want. The case in point is The GIMP.

    As stated in previous e-mails and postings, I am tired of this battle
    and say that it is time to call out the lawyers, period end of
    discussion.
    Knowing that this will cost money, as stated previously I will make a
    $100.00 USD donation to the legal fund. Either Richard M. Stallman
    (FSF),
    John "Maddog" Hall (Linux International), or Mr. Young (RedHat) need to
    provide a snail mail address to which donations should be mailed.

    I have included RedHat since they have the RedHat Labs which is involved
    in the development of GNOME.

    It it imperative that this issue be resolved in a decisive manner.
    Critics of Linux/OpenSource/GNU GPL/etc will only use this
    "in-fighting",
    questionable "ethics", etc as ammunition as to why corporations should
    refrain from using Linux/OpenSource/GNU GPL/etc collectively.

    --
    Terry L. Ridder
    Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

    When the toast is burnt
    and all the milk has turned
    and Captain Crunch is waving farewell
    when the Big One finds you
    may this song remind you that they
    don't serve breakfast in hell
    ==Breakfast==Newsboys

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.022 / U:0.816 seconds]