SubjectRE: Strange problem, strange fix
Date
	If anyone is curious about how my problem turned out-

Both Doug Roher and Janos Farkas told me they'd seen similar
things with flaky hardware (especially memory) being the cause. Swapping
the memory did not yield any improvement, nor did stripping the machine
down to an ISA Cirrus Logic video card and one IDE hard drive (as
opposed to the nice SCSI disks and PCI video I started with). I disabled
the level 2 cache, and this (completely different hardware, except for
the motherboard and CPUs) configuration did not work any better.
I did the same software installation/upgrade procedure on a
different machine as a sanity check on myself, and it worked great
So... motherboard or one of the processors. The machine has been
transferred to be an important member of the heap 'o' computer garbage
that lurks in the corner (and occasionally tries to expand without
warning, kind of like Iraq).
Such is life. NOW what am I going to do for another Linux box?
:) (Thanks to Doug and Janos, BTW.)

--Chris
----

Doug: Might sound strange, but I had similar problems when one
of my old SIMM modules was dying.

Janos: I'd be blaming your hardware. I've seen something like
this

-----

> On 1998-06-03 at 13:29:22, McGee, Chris wrote:
> > When compiling the kernel, I will get undeclared variable
> > errors. They will be followed by parse errors, and the parse error
> > will
> > always be of this type: "locks.c:790: parse error before character

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.613 / U:0.052 seconds]