    SubjectRe: UNBELIEVABLE linux story!
    On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Majdi Abbas wrote:

    # I think what many people seem to be overlooking is that
    #hot or warm swapping IDE devices is only a recommended course of action
    #if you plan to take the next comet-obscured spaceship off the planet
    #along with your data. I've seen people kill motherboards this way.

    Oh, I didn't say I'd recommend it.. I just said I've done it.

    # If you must hot-swap:
    # * Use SCSI

    but never seagate (see below)

    # * Use bays designed for this end that will wait until
    # the bus is reasonably quiet and carefully remove the
    # device from the bus.

    ...because even tho the Seagate is in a hotswap tray, it'll most likely
    die the second you try to plug it back in. ;P

    # Anything else is just asking for punishment. Personally, when
    #it's your responsibility to maintain a reliable system and protect the
    #data on it I wouldn't want to have to explain my involvement in a loss.

    i have an easy way to explain my involvement in a loss. "i, uh, tripped."
    ;) seriously, tho.. hotswap IDE is fucking stupid. really REALLY stupid.
    now, scsi.. uh, i better not mention how i do that on this box.. }:)

    -Phil R. Jaenke ( /
    TheGuyInCharge(tm), Ketyra Designs - We get paid to break stuff :)
    Linux pkrea.ketyra.INT 2.0.33 #15 Sat Apr 18 00:40:21 EDT 1998 i586
    Linux 2.1.98 #15 Fri May 1 18:21:00 EDT 1998 i586
    - Linus says for 'brave people only.' I say 'keep a backup.' - :)
    ! I reserve the right to bill spammers for my time and disk space !

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.020 / U:44.456 seconds]