    SubjectRe: AMD K6 "Bug"
    Rogier Wolff wrote:

    > >From the K6 errata:

    > Suggested workaround. None.
    >
    > Resolution status. This erratum will be corrected in a future stepping
    > of the AMD-K6 processor.
    >
    > ------------------------ Typo's are mine -------------------------
    >
    > (*) And B and C stepping which are K6-MMX.
    >
    > This is a serious problem for Linux right?
    >
    > Assuming SMM has something to do with system calls or interrupts, Or
    > would Linux never allow me to load a NULL segment register? In 32bit
    > mode, I don't expect to be able to load segment registers but WINE and
    > DOSEMU would have to be able to do this right?

    SMM is normally used only for power management and such, so I think this
    would be only a minor problem for Linux. As a workaround it might be
    possible to have the SMM handler check for null selectors (knowing that
    they would be handled incorrectly), and it could then return to a stub
    that would reload the zeroes from userland before returning to the
    interrupted program.

    Regards,
    Bill

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.031 / U:29.340 seconds]