SubjectRe: 2.1.103 cache size still too big
On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:

>We should have a maximum percentage of memory that can be
>used for the caching of _one_ file, possibly tunable by
>counting the number of pagefaults for this file vs. the
>total number of pagefaults in the system.

If the current cache limits would work we should not need a per file cache
limit.

If I set that the cache must be less or equal 10% when the system is out
of memory I' d like that my 32Mbyte machine uses ~4Mbyte for the cache and
not more. I need only that. Setting 0% help a lot since the cache size
never grow up over 8Mbyte. Also it isn' t a problem of not-freeable
structures since if I open another pine and load another
linux-kernel-may-1998 in it too the cache got reduced to 4Mbyte (and
20Mbyte or more got swapped out). I talk about cache but I am not sure of
where that memory is allocated (inodes, dcache, ?!?!). When I use the term
"cache" I mean the underlined field:

andrea@dragon:~$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 31164 28356 2808 9588 2540 20728
^^^^^
-/+ buffers/cache: 5088 26076
Swap: 52412 116 52296

Andrea[s] Arcangeli

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.054 / U:0.444 seconds]