    On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 06:05:04 PM -0700, dalecki wrote:
    > 2. The whole console selection related ioctl stuff.
    > It was broken from the beginning on. There is currently a new
    > replacement mechanism: /dev/vcs, which should provide the same
    > funcionality. Removing it will only break the in my oppinion
    > anyway toyish mouse selection on text based consoles. This is
    > something that will not break the system since this
    > functionality isn't essential for operation.
    > (8k)
    "toyish mouse selection on text based consoles" is somthing that _many_
    linux users find very useful. Replace the code in gpm that uses this
    with /dev/vcsa, then wait a couple of years, then remove the code.

    > 3. Due to 2. we could even remove the wholy broken und useless unicde
    > stuff in the current console code.
    > It's only used in code related to 2. With the new mechanism for
    > console selection this should get handled in user space. And
    > please remember I'm not talking about unicode or whatever here.
    > It's only about the selection stuff in the current kernel.
    > (8k)
    Umm... is this the same code that lets you "cat" stuff with unicoded
    characters and see the right things? If so, I'm betting that you would be
    breaking a _lot_ of peoples' setups.

    -=- James Mastros
    True mastery is knowing enough to bullshit the rest.
    -=- Me

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:6.308 seconds]