SubjectRe: quad ppro Compaq proliant 5000 problems with 2.1.106-ac4 was: Re: Any SMP people out there with SCSI CD ROMs?
On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Lauri Tischler wrote:

> Robert HYATT wrote:
> >
> > I ran the matrix multiply benchmark... with 1, 2, 3 and 4
> > processors.
> >
> > The numbers I got were 52 seconds, 59 seconds, 66 seconds and 73 seconds
>
> Hmmm... with four cpus the benchmark took 11 sec more then with 1 cpu ??
>
> One might suppose you meant the times to be :
>
> 52/1 1 cpu
> 59/2 2 cpu
> 66/3 3 cpu
> 73/4 4 cpu
>
> Cheers...

Actually, Robert probably meant just what he said. The CPU-mem
benchmark multiplies great big matrices (much bigger than cache). The
four same-size (and big!) jobs complete in PARALLEL on the four
processors, testing CPU-to-memory-bus bandwidth and how well it is
shared among the processors. What the numbers mean is that the
benchmark is "almost" CPU bound on his (Orion chipset?) quad with its
interleaved memory. I would guess that the memory bus is really only
saturated when the fourth processor kicks in, as the time takes a
These numbers are almost identical to those reported more than a year
ago by Tom Quinn, see:

http://www.phy.duke.edu/brahma/benchmark.results

I added Qiru Zhou's latest results to this page as well. This page is
kind of messy, for which I apologize. I'll try to condense the
results (with any further additions that occur) into a neat table,
just as soon as I have time. In this form, though, one CAN see who
did what, and even approximately when.

BTW, I still have the source if anybody wants to bench new systems...

rgb

Robert G. Brown http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567 Fax: 919-660-2525 email:rgb@phy.duke.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.057 / U:0.048 seconds]