    SubjectRe: Thread implementations...

    > For something like (al la PH-UX):
    > ssize_t sendfile(int s, int fd, off_t offset, size_t nbytes,
    > const struct iovec *hdtrl, int flags);
    > where s is the NETWORK socket, fd is the FILESYSTEM file descriptor.

    What about adding a syscall to _copy_ data from one file descriptor
    to another one, supporting not only sockets, but also plain files.

    * File blocks can be copied without passing them to/from user

    * With some support in file systems, we can convert block-aligned
    copies directly to buffer cache operations, potentially using
    SCSI block copy operations).

    * We can also implement socket-to-file, file-to-pipe and several
    other interesting cases without introducing YAS (Yet Another

    Have a nice fortnight
    Martin `MJ' Mares <>
    "Compatible: Gracefully accepts erroneous data from any source."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.018 / U:2.972 seconds]