SubjectRe: (reiserfs) dynamic stat data (was Re: LVM / Filesystems / High availability)

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 23:59:31 -0700, Hans Reiser <> said:

> It would be nice to say cat /usr/local/bin/xemacs/version and get the
> version of the xemacs installed, say /usr/local/bin/xemacs/ACL and get
> the ACLs on xemacs, say /usr/local/bin/xemacs/owner and get the
> traditional file stat_data field of owner, but still say
> /usr/local/bin/xemacs to run xemacs by referencing the file body
> (which can be thought of as the default file of the directory xemacs.)

I'd have to disagree. This would be neat if we were designing a brand
new operating system, but such munging of the namespace is just so
non-Unix that I'd hate to see us doing that in Linux.

Production systems need compatibility; POSIX and C stdio compatibility
at least. Arbitrarily breaking the rules for the filesystem namespace
doesn't seem like a good idea if POSIX already specifies perfectly good
standard ways of getting at the same information.