    SubjectRe: (reiserfs) dynamic stat data (was Re: LVM / Filesystems / High availability)

    On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 23:59:31 -0700, Hans Reiser <> said:

    > It would be nice to say cat /usr/local/bin/xemacs/version and get the
    > version of the xemacs installed, say /usr/local/bin/xemacs/ACL and get
    > the ACLs on xemacs, say /usr/local/bin/xemacs/owner and get the
    > traditional file stat_data field of owner, but still say
    > /usr/local/bin/xemacs to run xemacs by referencing the file body
    > (which can be thought of as the default file of the directory xemacs.)

    I'd have to disagree. This would be neat if we were designing a brand
    new operating system, but such munging of the namespace is just so
    non-Unix that I'd hate to see us doing that in Linux.

    Production systems need compatibility; POSIX and C stdio compatibility
    at least. Arbitrarily breaking the rules for the filesystem namespace
    doesn't seem like a good idea if POSIX already specifies perfectly good
    standard ways of getting at the same information.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.023 / U:37.128 seconds]