    SubjectRe: uniform input device packets?
    > okay... this is my first attempt at slightly bloated protocol design.
    > here is a sample of what could be done to unify keyboard, mouse, etc.
    > input into a single protocol. this includes the realtime needs described
    > recently... as well as a possible need for a /dev/keyboard (according to
    > me!?).

    It is maybe not so nice to differ input data stream with a
    signature in its content: how about a keyboard with an embedded
    mouse ? how about a nonexistent lightpen: you have to open
    the device (and load the module) to know it is not there...

    About standard, the DEC VT have done quite nice a thing
    in the last generations (everything sending/receiving char):

    - You can know/set the keyboard language, the font, the
    screen size (to any value) and save/protect them in NV RAM.
    - You can ask for most capabilities (if there is colors...)
    - You can set a special mode where every modifier key (shift,
    control, alternate, compose) send a complete and concise
    status when pressed and released.
    - You can set all keys in RAW mode (like for previous
    modifier keys) sending coordinate when pressed/released
    - You can have multiple screen/keyboard (still ONE serial
    line or device) with complete state saved independantly
    - They have added a nice mouse control in VT1200, where
    you say when to notify (send me a report when mouse leaves
    the area defined)
    - you can reach and configure a printer (same serial line)
    - you can localy cut and paste, or between session...
    - you can switch serial protocol on the fly
    - there is open doors - if you want to get temperature
    of the screen...
    - The ESC problem has never really existed (flames waited)
    - you can do small graphics - even if it is quite slow
    on a real serial line.

    It is nicely designed, and could be programmed in the Linux
    console (it is vt100 compatible), the two main problems
    - how to find time to write down the software
    - how about legal things: What DEC thinks? when the VT100
    standard has been "public" (pointers) ?

    My Euro 0.02,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.021 / U:4.292 seconds]