    SubjectRe: mount(2) bug found
    On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 07:46:54PM +1200, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

    > IMO /proc/mounts is not meant for lusers to twiddle with, but more for
    > admins. and system tools, as it can be kernel version dependant. Nor it it
    > portable.
    >
    > If df uses /proc/mounts, IMO, _it_ is broken.
    >
    > This all depends on what is considered to be the right smeantics for
    > /proc/mounts, and IMO, df doesn't come into the equation.

    Given the number of times I already had ``fun'' due to /etc/mtab being
    out of sync with reality I'll really apreaciate a /proc/mtab which does
    the right thing and a set of tools based on it or some other mechanism
    that supplies correct data.

    Think about using mount in a chroot'ed environment as Rik is doing or the
    case of a read only root filesystem - keeping all copies of /etc/mtab
    in sync is just not possible, even if that should be part of your
    equation.

    Ralf

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:0.280 seconds]